When it comes to drinking, I’m not really into drinking beer and there are only a few (like two) mixed drinks that I like the taste of. But hand over a few bottles of wine and I’m all in.
Every year my dad and I have a daddy/daughter date night and we attend an event called “Corks & Forks” in our city, that benefits our local science center. We get to sample a ton of wines and they always have different little appetizers to choose from. Although I must say that I’m normally not interested in the food at this event, as the wines are much better. So “taste-testing” wines is what I’d call a great time!!
Not only do I love test tasting them, I love cooking with wine! Deglazing a pan with wine and scraping all those yummy bits into a sauce. Yes please….. I love using wines when I cook!
I use wine when making Chicken with Mushrooms and Broccoli, Grilled Chicken Penne al Fresco, and Dijon Chicken Spaghetti. As you can see, there tends to be a trend. haha Chicken, Chicken, Chicken. But for this post I wanted to do something a little different and decided to go with Shrimp. Shrimp Scampi with Homemade Garlic Toast to be exact. Buttery, garlic shrimp tossed with perfectly cooked fettuccine and chopped parsley.
It was a wonderful change from the heavy creamed sauce pasta dishes that I normally make.
These wines were, oh so good. My favorite was the 2006 H.O. Becker, Kerner Auslese, Rheinhessen. It was absolutely delicious, somewhat fruity and somewhat sweet. The 2010 Kotuku Winery, Sauvignon Blanc, Marlborough was also very good, it was quite tangy and tart in my opinion. Which isn’t a bad thing ;).
- 1 pound fettuccine
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Salt and Pepper
- 1/2 cup white wine
- lemon juice from 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
Directions for Shrimp Scampi
Fill a large stockpot with water and bring to a boil. Add a a few tablespoons of salt to the boiling water. Add in the fettuccine and cook for about 12 minutes.
While the pasta is cooking, heat two tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the skillet and let it melt.
Once the butter is melted add in the minced garlic. Stir the garlic and let the garlic cook for 2 minutes.
Sprinkle the shrimp with salt and pepper. Add them to the skillet. Cook the shrimp until they begin to curl up and have turned pink, this will take between 2-3 minutes.
Remove the shrimp from the skillet and set aside. *place the shrimp in a bowl with a clean dish towel draped over it to keep them warm*
Add the wine and lemon juice to the skillet. Bring to a boil.
Once it comes to a boil, add 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil.
When the butter has melted, add the shrimp back into the pan. Add in the chopped parsley and cooked pasta.
Stir well and season with salt and pepper.
Ingredients for Homemade Garlic Toast
- 8 slices of sourdough bread (or your favorite kind)
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- dash of salt and pepper
Join us this week Around the Family Table for #SundaySupper! That fun starts at 3pm EST with these fabulous recipes being showcased and ends with our #SundaySupper live chat at 7pm EST.
Our awesome #SundaySupper group has developed some fantastic recipes using the Schlossadler International Wines! Check them out below.
- A Midsummer’s Picnic w/ Wine by GirliChef
- Shrimp Scampi with Homemade Garlic Toast by Big Bears Wife
- Jerk Turkey Burgers with Mango Slaw by ENOFYLZ
- Wine & Dine with Schlossadler International Wine Club by Wine Everyday
- Elegant Pot Roast by Daily Dish Recipes
- Chicken with Feta and Sundried Tomatoes + Apple Crisp by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Shepherd’s Pie with Red Wine Mushroom Gravy by Juanita’s Cocina
- Pork Piccatta by Family Foodie
- Shrimp Skagen Salad in Avocado Halves by Tora’s Real Food
Here are some other great recipes to pair with this fabulous wine:
- Shrimp Salad With Lemon Tarragon Dressing by Magnolia Days
- Red, White and Cordon Bleu by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Moules a la Provencale by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Delicious BBQ Ribs by Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Chicken and Mushroom Chicken Piccata by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Ginger Roast Chicken with Red Wine Plum Sauce by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Beef Stroganoff by From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Strawberry-Pink Champagne Sorbet by The Messy Baker Blog
- Italian Style Baby Back Ribs by Cooking Underwriter
- Muscat and Raspberry Cake by Happy Baking Days
- Pretty in Pink Champagne Macarons by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Late Harvest Citrus Cake by Vintage Kitchen Note
- Roasted Sausages with Grapes by Comfy Cuisine
- Wine Pairings by ENOFYLZ
We have a special discount for all participants: Free Shipping when you join The Wine Club by Schlossadler Wines use code FFSS1.