I’ve shared my love of Broccoli Casserole before and I’ll continue to love that stuff for the rest of my life!
But I just had to take that family favorite and move it up a step or two! I know…what am I doing? What was I thinking? One doesn’t simply mess with family favorites. It’s like a huge no-no. haha
But, but, but I needed to! Ok, I didn’t need to but I really wanted too!
We only eat broccoli casserole for special occasions and holidays! Really, it’s true. That’s the only time I make it.
However, this year I’ve got a new mindset and I want to do more things that make me happy. One of those things? I want to make (and eat) more broccoli casseroles! I know that sounds like a pretty weird goal to have but it’s not just food for me.
My grandmother made Broccoli Casseroles for us all of the time. It was one of the ways she showed us that she loved it, cause here in the south that’s what people do when they love you…they make you food.;)
It’s all about memories. This reminds me of my Ma, it makes me think of my brother, it makes me smile and I need more of that in my life.
So, with that being said, I wanted to turn my favorite broccoli casserole side dish into something that we could eat more that once or twice a year!
I added chicken and hearty mushrooms and turned this into the best Chicken and Broccoli Casserole that I’ve ever had! It’s a full meal!
My grandmother taught me how to make this using canned cream of chicken and canned cream of mushroom soup and she had no shame.
Today though, it seems that people run at the thought of canned soups so I thought I’d find some homemade versions for you because I really don’t want you to miss out on this casserole!
Ali from Gimme Some Oven has a recipe for Condensed Homemade Cream of Chicken Soup that you can use in this recipe and Laurie from Simply Scratch has a recipe for Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup on her blog!
See, I’ve got you covered! Don’t want to make this with rice? Switch out the rice for quinoa (or just use the rice, rice is freaking awesome haha)
I was talking to my friend Anne today and we were of course talking about food and clean eating and recipe ideas. 🙂
But during our conversation I realized that I will never give up my favorites. I will continue to eat better and make better choices but I refuse to give up my favorite foods. I may not eat them as much as I use to but I won’t 100% cut them out of my life.
To some food is just food. It’s just something we need to survive. To me, it’s so much more.
It’s life, it brings joy, it brings people together, it holds memories and brings them back. The food that I grew up on here in the south isn’t something I can just turn my back on. It’s welded into my DNA.
Without it, I’m not the same person. 🙂
Just like with this casserole. I’ve heard that people aren’t really into casseroles anymore. I hear that they’re too heavy and not “figure friendly”. Oh people, oh people.
Southern casseroles might not be beach body friendly but oh man are they worth every single bite. <3
Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Chicken Broccoli Casserole
This Chicken Broccoli Casserole is a cheesy chicken casserole that's based on our favorite family casserole, Cheesy Broccoli Casserole.
- 2 pounds chicken tenders, cubed (cut into bite size pieces)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms
- 3 cups of prepared white rice
- 3 cups cream of mushroom soup (28 oz can store bought or 3 cups homemade)
- 3 cups cream of chicken soup (28 oz can store bought or 3 cups homemade)
- 2 cups of chopped Broccoli Florets
- 4 cups shredded Cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large pot cook the chicken over medium heat until white and cooked throughout. Add in butter and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Add in the cooked white rice. Mix well. Mix in the cream of mushroom and the cream of chicken soup.
- Stir in the Broccoli Florets and 2 cups of cheese. Stir in the paprika
- Pour into a casserole dish (or if you're using an oven safe pot you can bake it in that). Top with cheese and bake for 30 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Need some more casserole love in your life? I’ve got some for you!
Again it’s the 12th of the month which means we’re bringing you 12 new recipes, each with 12 ingredients or less. This month’s theme? Casseroles! Enjoy Y’all!
- Chicken and Broccoli Casserole by Big Bear’s Wife
- Cheesy Sausage and Roasted Vegetable Casserole by Betsy Life
- Mexican Lasagna by Home Cooking Memories
- Lemon Orzo Shrimp Bake by Cooking on the Front Burners
- King Ranch Casserole by Love Bakes Good Cakes
- Sweet Potato Enchilada Casserole by A Million Moments
- Bacon, Beef & Bean Casserole by Bread Booze Bacon
- Green Chicken Enchilada Casserole by A Night Owl
- Chili Bean Casserole by Pink Cake Plate
- Mom’s Enchilada Casserole by I Love My Disorganized Life
- Breakfast Casserole (Egg & Veggies) by See Vanessa Craft
- Slow Cooker French Toast Casserole by Around My Family Table
Leave a Comment