- Prep Time: 20m
- Cook Time: 1h 30m
- Total Time: 2h 15m
- Yield: 1 whole chicken
- 1 whole chicken (4-5 pounds is what I use)
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted ( 1/2 stick butter)
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 medium orange, cut in half
- 1 head garlic, cut in half crosswise
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Remove the chicken innards and giblets. Rinse the chicken with cold water inside and out.
- Pat the outside of the chicken completely dry with a paper towel.
- Lay the the chicken, breast up, in a large cast iron skillet or a large roasting pan.( I use a giant cast iron skillet for mine)
- Stuff the inside of the chicken with the thyme, orange halves and sliced garlic clove.
- Brush the outside of the chicken with the melted butter.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper all over the chicken. Sprinkle the onion powder and garlic powder over the chicken as well.
- Tie the legs of the chicken together with kitchen twine and tuck the wing tips under the chicken.
- Roast the chicken for hour and 30 minutes.
- Cover the pan with foil and let it rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Chicken is done when the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh.
Leave a Comment