- 2 -3 medium green tomatoes
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- Vegetable Oil for Frying
- Pour about 1 inch of oil into a large skillet, like a large cast iron skillet.
- Heat oil to 350F, I recommend using a cooking thermometer that clips onto the side of the skillet.
- While the oil is heating, set out three bowls (or a breading tray set up)
- Fill the first one with the flour, paprika and dry mustard. Whisk together.
- In the second bowl, whisk together the milk and egg.
- In the third bowl, add in 1 a cup of cornmeal.
- Slice the green tomatoes into disc that are about 1/4 of an inch thick. Lay them flat on a plate and lightly sprinkle them with salt.
- Taking one tomato at a time, dip the tomato slice into the flour mixture and coat each side. Set it back onto the plate. Once you\'ve dipped them all into the flour, let them rest for about 2-3 minutes, this will let the juices from the tomatoes stick to the flour. Now, one at a time, dip them back into the flour to coat both sides, dip them in the milk mixture and then into the cornmeal, making to to coat both sides. Place the tomato slices on a place.
- Line another place with a paper towel and set aside.
- Once the oil reaches 350F, fry 2-3 tomato slices at a time. Fry for about 1-2 minutes or until each side is golden brown. Don\'t over fry :)
- Remove them from the hot oil with a slotted spoon and lay them on the paper towel lined plate to drain and rest.
- Serve them as is or serve with a dipping sauce like ranch or french onion dip! (garnish with chopped parsley is optional)
Leave a Comment