- Prep Time: 45m
- Cook Time: 30m
- Total Time: 1h 15m
- Yield: Makes 9-12 bars
For the Base:
- 10 1/2 ounces Walkers Shortbread cookies, crumbled
- 7 tablespoons butter
For the Caramel Layer:
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 12 ounces evaporated milk
For the Chocolate Layer:
- 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
- 1 tablespoon butter
To Make the Base:
- Grease a 8 x 8 square baking pan well.
- Add the cookie crumbs to a bowl.
- Melt the butter and stir it into the crumbles until everything is wet.
- Press the shortbread mixture into the pan in an even layer.
- Refrigerate until firm.
To Make the Caramel Layer:
- Add all caramel ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened (this might take 30 minutes - stir from time to time to avoid burning).
- Pour over the hardened shortbread base and refrigerate again until cold (else the chocolate will mix with the caramel).
( I recommend heating it on medium for about 30 minutes and then raise the heat to medium high and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring while the caramel thickens)
To Make the Chocolate Layer:
- Melt the chocolate together with the butter. Pour over the caramel layer and refrigerate until hardened. Cut into bars.
- NOTE: If your caramel won't thicken, you can either put it back on high heat and it should caramelize pretty quickly OR use condensed milk from the beginning, if you're used to making caramel like that!
Leave a Comment