- Yield: 16 large muffins
For cream cheese filling
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- Butter for coating the muffin pans
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup oats
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer (or in a regualr bowl and use an electric mixer) , cream together the eggs and sugar. Mix in the cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, salt and baking soda until combined.
- Slowly add in the flour and mix well. Add pumpkin puree and vegetable oil. Mix until everything is combined into batter.
- Lightly butter a large muffin pan. The pan I used makes 6 very large muffins.
- Add 3 medium scoops of batter to each muffin cup. (about 3/4 full)
- Sprinkle oats on top of muffin batter. Bake at 350F for 25 minutes.
- Remove from muffin pan and place on a wire rack to cool.
For the cream cheese filling:
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add powdered sugar and pumpkin spice and mix until smooth.
- Once muffins are cool enough to handle use a small pairing knife to cut a hole into the top of the muffin. Fill a pastry or a large ziplock bag with the cream cheese filling and pipe into the center of the muffin.