- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), room temperature/softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 deep dish pie crust (homemade or store bought
- 1 rolled out pie crust (homemade or store bought)
For Whipped Cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Peel the sweet potatoes.
- Cube them and toss them into a pot of cold water. Bring the water to a boil and cook the sweet potatoes for about 15 minutes or until tender.
- Drain sweet potatoes, let them cool and pour them into a food processor. Blend until smooth.
- In a bowl (or a stand mixer) cream the sugar and butter together.
- Mix 2 cups of the smooth sweet potatoes and both eggs. Mix milk in until smooth.
- Mix in the cinnamon and vanilla.
- Mix well, taste and adjust spice if needed.
- Pour into prepared pie crust.
- Bake at 425F for 15 minutes.
- While the pie is baking, work on the leaves.
- Roll the other pie dough out and use a sharp knife to carefully cut out leaves.
- Use the pack of the knife to press a vein down the center of each leaf. Then use the back of the knife to press three or four veins into the side of each leaf.
- Remove the pie from the oven. CAREFUL, IT'S HOT!
- Place the leaves around the crust of the pie overlapping each one using a bit of water to water as glue to glue the leaves down.
- To keep the leaves from burning use a pie crust cover or use some foil to create a pie crust cover around the edges of the pie while it bakes.
- Lower the oven to 350F and bake for 45 minutes.
For Whipped Cream
- Combine heavy cream, sugar and vanilla in a stand mixer. Whip on high for 3-5 minutes. Keep an eye on it. It\'s done once it gets thick.