Looking for an easy summer dessert? Need to use up some watermelon from the cookout? Try this Watermelon Pizza that’s easy to make and totally customizable!
Want recipes delivered right to your inbox? Sign up here! Sometimes I even send out free e-cookbooks too!
LOVE IT? PIN IT!
My little boy and my nephew are crazy about watermelon! Watermelon is a wonderful and healthy summer time treat and I’m glad that they love it. This watermelon pizza is a fun way to use up some watermelon and really love it because you can customize it with your favorite fruits.
I used strawberry and blackberries for ours this time but the possibilities are limitless.
How To Pick A Watermelon
No one wants a flavorless watermelon! Here are some tips on picking the best summer watermelon:
- Check for a hollow sound! – Ripe watermelons should have a hollow thud sound to them when you tap on them.
- Find the yellow spot! – Ripe watermelons should have a yellow spot on the bottoms. This yellow spot means that the watermelon has been able to ripen in the sun while in the field. The bigger the yellow spot the longer it was on the vine to ripen.
- Firm outside – The outside of a ripe watermelon should be firm, if it’s soft that means that the watermelon is starting to rot.
- Shiny is good for Photos but Dull it tastier – Sure we all want that super pretty watermelon but did you know that the shiny watermelons let you know that they’re under ripe with their shine.
- Heavy Hitter – pick the heavy watermelon from the bunch. If all of the melons are about the same size, try to find the heaviest watermelon in the bunch. If it’s heavy then it’s full of juice!
- Dark Green is better! – yes, we want that yellow field spot on our watermelon but we also want the rest of the watermelon to have dark green stripes. Lighter stripes can mean an under ripe melon.
What you’ll need to make Watermelon Pizza: (amounts below)
- Cream Cheese
- Marshmallow Fluff
- Vanilla Extract
The crust of this fruit pizza is going to be a thick round slice of summer watermelon. Just cut a 3 inch or so thick round from the middle of a watermelon and the watermelon pizza crust is ready.
Next, it’s time to add our pizza sauce. In the case of this dessert pizza, the sauce is a cream cheese, marshmallow and vanilla mixture.
Make the sauce, spread it on and then decorate the top of the pizza with your favorite fruit. We love strawberries and blackberries so that’s what we used but here are some more watermelon pizza topping ideas:
- sliced kiwi
- Mandarin oranges
- sliced grapes
- pineapple chucks
- sliced peaches
- mango slices
- banana slices
Other fruit pizza toppings that aren’t fruit:
- Chocolate chips
- Almond Slices
- Toasted Coconut
I’ve made this watermelon pizza as a while pizza and then sliced it however, you could also slice it first before adding toppings! Slice the watermelon into triangles and then spread the cream cheese mixture onto the watermelon slices. – This way you could really customize each slice for everyone that wants some. Slice up the watermelon, spread on the cream cheese and let everyone decorate their pizza slices with fruit!
My little guy calls this “red cake” haha and I’m am totally ok with him thinking that this healthy dessert is cake.
If you were going to make this watermelon pizza at home, which fruits would you add to it? I think that next time we make this fruit pizza that I may try it with kiwi and strawberries or even add some granola and honey!
Watermelon Pizza FAQs
1. Can Watermelon Pizza be made ahead of time? Yes! I would recommend store it in the fridge and serving it within 24 hours or less of making it. The entire process of making this pizza watermelon is only about 15-20 minutes.
2. What kind of watermelon do you use? You can use seeded or seedless watermelon. We’ve used both. However seedless is usually easier because you don’t have to pick all of the seeds out. haha.
3. What kind knife should I use to cut the watermelon? I use a long chef’s knife to cut watermelon. Just place the watermelon on a cutting board and use the chef’s knife to cut and split the watermelon.
4. Can I use something other than cream cheese? You can also make a spread with yogurt as the base!
More Watermelon Recipes to make:
Can be made 24 hours in advance (or less) Use your favorite fruit as toppings for this Watermelon Pizza
Can be made 24 hours in advance (or less)
Use your favorite fruit as toppings for this Watermelon Pizza
I love to see what your cooking from the blog!
Love it? Pin it!