- Yield: Makes 12 Cauldron Cupcakes
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk, I used whole milk
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks)
- 8 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup milk
- Orange Food Coloring
- Red Food Coloring
- Yellow Food Coloring
- Dark Chocolate Melting Candy Wafers (or Black Melting Candy Wafers)
- Avocado Green Food Coloring
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoons of icing (from the icing made above)
- Halloween Sprinkles (I used bats and bones)
You'll also Need
- 12 black cupcakes liners
- Cupcake Tin
- Piping Bag
- 1 Large Star Piping Tip
- Wax paper
- 12 wooden skewers or lollipop sticks
For the Cupcakes
- Pre-heat the oven to 300F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar, baking soda, salt and coco powder. (Use a Stand Mixer to make this easier)
- Next add in the eggs, milk and oil.Mix Well. Stir in the vanilla.
- Carefully mix in the boiling water. The batter with be liquid like!
- Pour batter into 12 cupcake liners that have been placed into a cupcake tray.Bake in a pre-heated oven at 300F for 30 minutes or until done.
- Pour 12 cupcakes worth of batter into the cupcake tin. You don\'t have to use cupcake liners for the last 12 if you don't want too because these will be crumbled to make the cauldrons.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven at 300F for 30 minutes or until done.
- Let cool.
For the Icing
- Cream butter in the bowl of a mixer.
- Slowly add the Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar while mixing.
- Add vanilla.
- Add in the milk 1/4 of a cup at a time and mix until combined. If you need the icing thicker add more Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar. If you need it thinner add more milk.
- Remove 1/4 of a cup of icing from the bowl and set aside. Also set aside 2 tablespoons of icing for the cauldrons. Tint the 1/4 cup of icing with the Avocado Green Food Coloring. Add 1 tablespoon of milk to thin out the Avocado Green icing.
- Divide the remaining icing into three bowls. Tint one bowl with Orange Food Coloring, one bowl with Red Food Coloring and the third bowl with Yellow Food Coloring.
- Crumble 12 of the cooled cupcakes into a large bowl. Add in 1 tablespoon of white frosting.
- Use your hands or a spoon and mix well. If the crumbs aren\'t sticking together add the 2nd tablespoon of icing. Mix well.
- Roll the cake crumbs into 1 tablespoon balls. Place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper.
- Stick a wooden skewer or lollipop stick into each one.
- Place in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Remove from freezer at let the cake balls sit at room temperature while you melt the chocolate.
- Melt the Dark Chocolate Melting Candy Wafers (or Black Melting Candy Wafers) in 30 seconds in the microwave until melted, stirring after each burst.
- Dip each cake ball into the melted chocolate. Press each one back onto the wax paper. Press down a bit so that some of the chocolate pushed out onto the wax paper from the cake ball. (This will be the cauldron top once they\'re on the cupcakes)
- Set the rest chocolate aside.
- Let the chocolate dipped cake balls sit long enough for the chocolate to harden.
- Fill a large piping bag fitted with a large star piping tip with the yellow, red and orange icing. Don\'t stack the icing ontop of each other but instead spoon them side by side in the bag so that you\'ll get a swirl affect when you pipe the icing onto the cupcake.
- Taking a cooled cupcake, starting in the middle of the cupcake, swirl the icing in a ring until the top of the cupcake it covered. This will represent the fire for your Witch\'s Cauldron to sit on.
- Pull one of the chocolate covered cake balls from the wooden skewer. Place in into the middle of the cupcake with the hole part down and the flattened edge of the cupcake facing up.
- Re-melt the chocolate that you set aside and pour it into a piping bag. Snip a small hole in the tip of the piping bag.
- Pipe a rim around the top of the Cauldron (this will hold the green icing in later), then pipe two circles, one on each side, to create the \"handles\" for the Cauldron.
- Let dry for 2-3 minutes.
- Fill the top of the Cauldron with the green icing. Add in a few Halloween bat sprinkles and bone sprinkles.
- Repeat with the remaining cupcakes,