- 9 inch deep dish pie crust (homemade or store bought), cooked and ready for filling
- 2 teaspoons vanilla*
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups whole milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cornstarch, ( I used ARGO Cornstarch)
- 1 ¼ cups sugar ( I used Dixie Crystals)
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder ( I used Hershey's)
- Plastic Wrap
- **I used Nielsen-Massey Chocolate Extract
- *(OR 1 teaspoon vanilla extract AND 1 teaspoon chocolate extract**, which I love!
- Heat the milk in the microwave until hot.
- In a medium sauce pan, whisk together the cocoa powder, sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Add in the milk and whisk until smooth.
- Cook and whisk over medium heat until it starts to boil. As soon as it startsto boil, start a timer for 3 minutes. Whisk for 3 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for just a minute. Whisk in the butter and extract.
- Pour into the prepared pie crust. Cover the pie with plastic wrap, letting it touch and cover the top of the pie. (It\'ll stick to the top of the pie and prevent it from forming a film)
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours but preferably 24 hour, TRUST ME, it will be 10000 times better after 24 hours in the fridge.
Leave a Comment