- Yield: 1 Chocolate "Pumpkin" Swiss Roll Cake (about 8 (1-inch) servings)
- Wax Paper
- Baking sheet with edges
- Plastic bag or piping bag
For the pumpkin and dots pattern:
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Orange food coloring
- Green food coloring
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup dark cocoa powder
- 1 can cream cheese icing
- 1 can Caramel Apple icing
- **Whisked these together for the filling**
- (Or the Cream cheese filling here)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together 1 egg, 2 tablespoons sugar, 1/3 cup flour and 1 tablespoon melted butter. Mix well.
- Spoon out 1 tablespoon of batter into a small bowl and tint it green. Tint the rest orange.
- Lay the pumpkin template onto the baking sheet. Cover with wax paper (or parchment paper).
- Scoop the orange batter into a plastic sandwich bag. Cut a small hole into the tip of the bag. Following the pumpkin template pipe the pumpkins onto the wax paper. Also pipe the orange dots. Next spoon the green batter into a plastic sandwich bag. Cut a small hole into the tip of the bag. Pipe green steams onto each pumpkin.
- Place baking sheet into the freezer. Freeze for 20 minutes.
- While the pumpkins are freezing, make the sponge cake batter.
- In the bowl of a mixer combine the egg whites and 1 tablespoon of sugar. Mix on medium speed until the egg whites form soft peaks. (Maybe about 5 minutes)
- In a medium bowl, whisk by hand the egg yolks and 1/2 cup sugar until the eggs yolks are a pale yellow color. Whisk in the 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Fold in the egg whites.
- Fold in the flour and cocoa powder.
- Mix slowly until everything is incorporated.
- Remove the baking sheet from the freezer and carefully spread the chocolate batter over the pumpkins. Spread the batter evenly on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Carefully remove the cooked cake from the oven.
- Lay another piece of wax paper onto a flat surface. Flip the cake over onto the wax paper and carefully peel the wax paper off of the cake revealing the pumpkins. Flip the cake over again so that the pumpkins are on the bottom of the cake.
- Spread the filling over the entire cake. Starting on the edge without the pumpkins, start to roll the cake \"jelly roll style\".
- Roll until you reach the end. Place the cake on a flat surface with the seam down.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge until ready to serve.