- Serves: 4
- 1 pound of pizza dough (store bought or homemade)
- Olive Oil, for coating the dough and baking sheet
- Coarsely ground cornmeal or all-purpose flour, for rolling dough
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Mushrooms, Pepperonis, Basil or whatever toppings you’d like
- Divide the pizza dough into two balls. Gently coat each with olive oil, and let dough come room temperature either in a large bowl or on the counter. Let it rest for about 1 hour.
- Lightly coat a baking sheet with olive oil. Sprinkle work surface with cornmeal (or flour). Gently begin to stretch or roll each ball of dough into a circle.Give the dough some breaks in between stretches. Don’t worry about it being perfect.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Pour tomato sauce into a bowl, bring it to the grill with the cheese and toppings.
- Brush the top of the dough with oil.
- Pick up the dough and flip it, oil-side-down, onto the grill.
- Close the grill lid. Let pizza cook for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes check the pizza bottom for nice grill marks. Then, brush the uncooked top side with oil and turn over the crust. Lower the heat to medium-low.
- Carefully brush surface with tomato sauce, sprinkle with cheese, and add toppings.
- Close the cover and cook for 4 minutes or until cheese is melted and the crust is nicely browned. Remove pizza from grill and sprinkle with fresh basil. Cut and Serve.
Leave a Comment