- Yield: 35-40 Medium Cakesicles
For the cake
- 1 box french vanilla mix
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup Dixie Crystals Extra Fine Granulated Sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons Adam's Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup milk
- 8 ounces sour cream
For the icing
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Adam's Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 cups Dixie Crystals Confectioners Powdered Sugar
- 2 - 4 tablespoons milk
- 80 ounces white candy melts
- 10 ounces light blue candy melts
- 20 ounces or so of Wilton's Blueberry Lemonade Purple candy melts
- Mermaid mold from Wilton's DIY-Lish Mermaid Kit
- 40 popsicle sticks
- Mermaid colored & themed sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, flour, sugar, and salt.
- In the bowl of a mixer, mix together the egg whites and vanilla, water, milk and oil.
- Mix on low for about 10 seconds.
- Slowly add the dry mix a little at a time. Mixing on low until everything is combined.
- Add sour cream and mix well.
- Pour into a 9x13-inch pan.
- Bake 30 - 35 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and let cool.
- With in electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Slowly add powdered sugar while mixing.
- Add vanilla.
- Slowly add milk 1/2 a tablespoon at a time and mix until icing is smooth.
To make and decorate
- Crumble cake into crumbs and mix icing into cake crumbs until a dough forms.
- After the cake crumbs and icing is mixed into a dough, form cakesicles by hand and place them on a sheet pan (or something small enough to fit into your fridge or freezer).
- Add popsicle sticks and place into fridge or freezer for 1-2 hours or until super cold.
- While cakesicles are getting cold, make the candy mermaid tails.
- Melt the purple blueberry lemonade candy melts according to the package directions.
- Fill the mermaid mold with candy melts and tap to release air bubbles.
- Place into fridge for 10 minutes. Pop mermaid tails out of mold and continue process until enough mermaid tails have been made.
- Melt white chocolate according to package directions. Melt blue as well in a separate bowl.
- Drizzle some of the blue over the white melted candy and and dip each cakesicle into melted chocolate.
- Lay on a flat surface, add mermaid candy tail and sprinkles.
- Let cakesicles lay on a flat surface to harden.