- Yield: makes 12 Mini Croque Monsieurs
- 6 slices of Cobblestone Bread Co. Million Dollar White Bread
- 12 slices of smoked gruyere cheese (I use a mandolin to carefully slice a block into slices)
- 3 large slices of ham
- 3 tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 tablespoons butter + some for brushing onto bread
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup Grated Parmesan cheese
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F.
- Lay the sliced of bread on a baking sheet. (I lined my baking sheet with foil for easy clean up).
- Brush each side of each slice with a little bit of melted butter.
- Once the oven is preheated, toast the sliced of bread in the oven for about 2 minutes. Flip the bread and toast the other side for about 2 minutes. Watch the bread and make sure it doesn\'t burn.
- Remove the bread from the oven and lay out three of the slices. Top them with a layer of mustard, 2 slices of cheese, ham, another 2 slices of cheese and a top slice of bread.
- Cut each sandwich into 4 pieces.
- Place the pieces back onto the baking sheet.
- In a sauce pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the flour and whisk until smooth and golden colored.
- Slowly whisk in the milk and raise the heat just a little and whisk until the sauce starts to thicken.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Once it starts to thicken, remove it from the heat and add the Parmesan cheese. Whisk until the cheese melts.
- Scoop the sauce on to the tops of the mini sandwiches. (Yes, it kind of looks like white gravy haha)
- Put the tray into the oven for about 6 minutes. Turn the broiler on and broil the tops for about 4 minutes or until the cheese it hot and bubbly. Don\'t let the bread burn!
- Serve warm!
Leave a Comment