- Total Time: 2h 30m
- Yield: 3 dozen
- 1 1/2 cups lukewarm water
- 3 cups powdred sugar
- Oil, for deep-frying
- Nonstick spray
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 7 cups bread flour
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Purple, green and yellow food coloring
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- In a medium bowl, mix together the warm water, sugar, and yeast.
- Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In medium bowl, beat the eggs, salt and evaporated milk together.
- After the 10 minutes, mix egg mixture to the yeast mixture.
- In a large bowl, measure out the bread flour.
- Add 3 cups of the flour to the yeast mixture and stir to combine
- Add the shortening and continue to stir while adding the remaining flour.
- Remove dough from the bowl, place onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth.
- It may look like it's not going to come together but it is! Just keep kneading!
- Spray a large bowl with nonstick spray. Put dough into the bowl and cover with plastic wrap or a towel. Let rise in a warm place for at least 2 hours.
- Preheat oil in a large stock pot to 350 degrees F.
- Roll the dough out to about 1/4-inch thickness and cut into 3 inch by 3 inch squares.
- Add 2-3 dough squares to the oil and fry, flipping constantly, until they become a golden color.
- After beignets are fried, drain them for a few seconds on paper towels,.
- IF YOU DON'T WANT TO ADD COLOR, sprinkle powdered sugar all over them and enjoy.
- Combine 2 cups powdered sugar and 2 teaspoons of milk. Whisk until smooth.
- Divide into 3 bowls.
- Color one bowl purple, one bowl green and one gold/yellow.
- Drizzle glaze onto beignets then top with powdered sugar.