- Prep Time: 1h 15m
- Cook Time: 1h 10m
- Total Time: 2h 25m
- Yield: 9 large servings (or more if you cut smaller pieces)
- 12 Hawaiian Bread Rolls (or any type of soft roll)
- 1 cup caramel sauce (I used caramel ice cream topping)
- 2 bananas, sliced
- For Banana Caramel Sauce:
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1 -2 cups crushed pineapple, drained
- 1 pint half and half
- 1 pint whole milk
- 4 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 6 eggs
- Vanilla Ice Cream (optional)
- Butter a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Cube the rolls. Toss cubed rolls into baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the eggs, brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well.
- Add in the half and half, stir. Stir in the milk.
- Add crushed pineapple and mashed bananas. Stir
- Pour milk mixture over the bread cubes and toss well. Make sure all of the bread is nicely coated. (I did have a little extra liquid so you could add more bread cubes or just discard the extra)
- Gently press down the bread crumbs.
- Cover with foil and refrigerate for 1 hour or overnight, or until the liquid is absorbed (I let mine sit overnight).
- Once the bread pudding is ready to bake, pre-heat oven to 325F.
- Bake for 1 and 10 minutes hour or until set.
- For Caramel Sauce:
- In a medium sauce pan, heat caramel on low heat. Add slice bananas and stir. Cook for about 5 minutes or until bananas are soft. Don\'t cook this to quick or with the heat to high or you will burn the caramel.
How can this POSSIBLY fit in a 9 inch square pan??? The liquid alone (and I only used 3 bananas and one small can of crushed pineapple) gave me 8 cups of liquid! I had to put mine in a 9×13 baker and I added quite a bit more bread. It’s in the oven now…we’ll see what happens.