- Cook Time: 15m
- Yield: 10-12 large cookies
Sugar Cookie Dough
- 5 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or Cookie Butter Extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 cups white sugar
- 4 sticks butter (2 cups), room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- Christmas Sprinkles
- Plastic Wrap
- Mini Heart Cookie Cutter
- Green Food Coloring
- Red Food Coloring
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream together cream cheese and butter.
- Mix in sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks one at a time and then add the vanilla. Mix well.
- In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients and add a little at a time to butter mixture.
- Mix until flour is completely incorporated and the dough comes together. If it seems to not be coming together all the way in the bowl, dump it out onto a flat surface and knead until the dough comes together.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
How to make slice n bake cookies
- Cut the dough into 3 sections.
- Dye 1 section red and 2 sections green.
- If you need to add a little flour to the red dough to roll it out, add a few tablespoons and work it into the dough. Then roll the dough out to about a little thinner than 1/2 an inch thick.
- Using a mini heart cookie cutter, cut out as many hearts as you can, re-rolling the dough when needed. I got about 18 hearts out the red dough.
- Stack the hearts up in columns of 6 or so. Make sure that they\'re perfectly aligned with each other. Place in the freezer for 45 minutes.
- Dye the rest of the dough green. Cut green dough into 4-5 sections and roll them into snakes.
- Once hearts are ready, remove and if any of them aren\'t sticking together, add a bit of water and stick them back together, Stick all of the hearts together into one log. Make sure that they\'re perfectly aligned with each other. Stick them back into the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove heart log and carefully press green strips around heart log, make sure to get the green dough all over the hearts and pressed into each angle.
- Carefully roll dough log until smooth. Don\'t roll it too much or you'll mess up the hearts.
- Roll the log into sprinkles.
- Wrap in plastic wrap and place into the fridge for at least 2-3 hours.
- Once chilled, remove cookie log from plastic wrap and slice into
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Slice end off of the cookie dough log.
- Slice cookies about thinner than ½-inch thick.
- Lay Cookies on baking sheets and bake for about 15 minutes. Let cool and move to a wire rack to completely cool.