I can not tell you how much I wish I had been into cooking when my Nana was still around. I wish I had learned how to cook from her and my Papa. They always made the best food. I wish I had written their recipes down.
I was trying to prep for this weekend and find a “Retro” recipe for today, because that’s our theme with #SundaySupper today, but was having no luck. Retro Recipe… from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s… I wasn’t even around then. I couldn’t decide on a recipe.
So, I asked my mom about “retro recipes”. I asked her what her favorite foods were growing up. Her answer: “When I was little, your Nana use to make Sunday Lunch/Supper, it was almost always homemade fried chicken, vegetables and chocolate banana cake.”
Chocolate Banana Cake! I have fond memories of my mom and I mixing banana slices and chocolate syrup together as a treat when I was little, so I knew a Chocolate Banana Cake that reminded my mother of her mother was perfect!
I have no idea what recipe my Nana used for her cakes. My mom says that she thinks that nana used a boxed cake mix. Who knows. But she told me it was always a chocolate or yellow cake, with chocolate icing and banana slices in between the layers 🙂 So, that’s what I made. Except I made little cakes…. we all know my luck with giant cakes. Yeah, little ones are much better, for my sanity anyways…
I made the little layers by baking the chocolate cake on a cookie sheet (with sides) in one big layer. I lined the baking sheet with foil so that I could lift the cake out to cut it once it was baked.
Once the cake was baked and cooled, I used a glass to mark the size.
And then I used a small knife to cut out the circles.
I placed the circles of cake on a baking sheet and popped them into the freezer. I let them sit in the freezer for about 10 minutes. Next I stacked the cake layers, adding layer of frosting and banana slices in between each layer of cake. Frost the entire cake with frosting.
Next I added chocolate curls to the top of the mini cake. (I used a vegetable peeler on the side of a chocolate bar to get he curls).
Then I added a few banana chips. I though about banana slices, but I didn’t want them to turn brown or anything.
1 can chocolate icing
1-2 bananas, sliced
Chocolate bar for curls *optional*
Banana chips for garnish *optional*
Mix the cake batter with the eggs, water and oil. (Or use your favorite chocolate cake recipe)
Line a cookie sheet (with sides) with foil. Pour batter into cookie sheet/baking sheet.
Bake at 350F. for 12 minutes. Remove cake once cooked, let cool.
Once cooled, remove cake from pan by lifting the sides of the foil.
Use a glass to mark the size for the mini layers on the cooled cake.
Then use a small knife to cut out the circles. Place the circles of cake on a baking sheet and pop them into the freezer.
Let them sit in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
Next stack the cake layers, adding layer of frosting and banana slices in between each layer of cake. Frost the entire cake with frosting.
Add chocolate curls to the top of the mini cake. (I used a vegetable peeler on the side of a chocolate bar to get he curls). *optional*
Add banana chips to the top for garnish*optional*
Yields: 4-5 Mini Cakes
Here are the other wonderful #SundaySupper Retro Recipes 🙂
- Irish Cheddar-Whiskey Fondue by girlichef
- She Devils: Beet Pickled Deviled Eggs by Ruffles & Truffles
- Coca-Cola Salad by Magnolia Days
- Salmon Salad | Retro Tuna Salad by Family Foodie
- Ambrosia Salad by Simply Gourmet
- Romaine “Wedge” Salad with Hot Maple Bacon Dressing by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Carrot & Raisin Salad by The Roxx Box
- Sweet & Smoky Broccoli Salad by In The Kitchen with KP
- Italian Style Bread by The Meltaways
- Creamed Chipped Salmon Jerky on Toast by Pescetarian Journal
- Grown-Up Tuna Melts by Home Cooking Memories
- English Muffin Pizzas by Comfy Cuisine
- Patty Melt, Hand Cut Fries, & a Shake by Mooshu Jenne
- Grown-Up Grilled Cheese With Tomato Soup by Catholic Foodie
- Toast Topper #16: Grandma’s Mock Apricot Jam by What Smells So Good?
- Chicken Pot Pie Topped With Bacon Cheddar Biscuits by Chocolate Moosey
- Tuna Noodle Casserole by Country Girl in the Village
- Nana’s Marinated Beef Roast by Supper for a Steal
- Chorizo Scotch Eggs by The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Chicken Maryland by Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Mushroom Stroganoff by Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Dairyfree Toast Hawaii by Galactosemia in PDX
- Porcupine Meatballs by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Kiev by The Urban Mrs.
- Salmon Quiche with Preserved Lemon by Shockingly Delicious
- Steak Diane by Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Fried Chicken only in the Oven by In the Kitchen with Audrey
- Hambak Steak a.k.a. Salisbury Steak by Kimchi Mom
- Retro-Redo: Homemade TV Dinner by The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Kicked Up Meatloaf by Curious Cuisiniere
- Shrimp Scampi (a lighter version) by Kudos Kitchen
- Old-Fashioned Pork Chops by My Trials in the Kitchen
- Jägerschnitzel by Sustainable Dad
- Healthier Hamburger-Corn Noodle Casserole by The Weekend Gourmet
- Inspired by Tuna Noodle Casserole by Cookistry
- Chicken-N-Biscuits Pot Pie Casserole by The Messy Baker Blog
- Souper Pork Chops with Mashed Potatoes by Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Meatloaf that will make you swoon and Datz the truth by Midlife Roadtrip
- Spaghetti with Currywurst Sauce by Masala Herb
- Tator Tot Casserole by NeighborFood
- Smokey Braised Red Cabbage by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Classic Corn Casserole by The Foodie Army Wife
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon & Balsamic by Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Classic Green Bean Casserole Redux by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Mem’s Broccoli Casserole by Momma’s Meals
- Peachy Keen Tutti-Frutti Jello by La Cocina de Leslie
- Old School Boozy Rum Cake by Webicurean
- Individual Baked Alaskas by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Rainbow Jello by Cravings of a Lunatic
- Pineapple Upside Down Cake by Noshing with the Nolands
- Pineapple Bars by Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Creamy Dairy Free Fresh Orange Julius With Coconut Milk by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Refrigerator Strawberry Cheesecake by There and Back Again
- Frozen Pineapple Upside-Down Cake by Juanita’s Cocina
- Boston Cream Pie by Gotta Get Baked
- Coca-Cola Cupcakes by Daily Dish Recipes
- Jello Poke Cake by Flour On My Face
- Devil’s Food Cake by Maroc Mama
- Bread Pudding with Pecans by Basic and Delicious
- Victoria Sponge Cake by The Lovely Pantry
- A Chocolate Twist on the Classic Japanese Strawberry Shortcake by Ninja Baking
- Post War Apple Pudding by My Cute Bride
- Layered Mini Chocolate Banana Cakes by Big Bears Wife
- Raspberry Jam Cakes by Pippis in the Kitchen Again
- Cocktail: Moscow Mule by Crazy by Crazy Foodie Stunts
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter each Sunday. We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET and you do not want to miss out on the fun. Follow the#SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest board for more fabulous recipes and food photos.
Leave a Comment