- Prep Time: 10m
- Cook Time: 45m
- Total Time: 2h 30m
- Serves: 4
- 3 - 4 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or regular oil)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 - 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Select the Saute Button on the Instant Pot and set it to normal.
- Sprinkle the short ribs with salt, pepper and onion powder.
- In a medium-large bowl mix together the broth, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and honey. Whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In the Instant Pot, melt the coconut oil. Once the coconut oil is melted, add the short ribs. (About 3-4 ribs at a time. Don't crowd them)
- Cook for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Flip and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes or brown. Remove from pan Instant Pot and set aside. Finish all ribs.
- Hit the Cancel Button.
- Pour a little of the the broth mixture into the pot and use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pot to get all of those browned bits into the broth.
- Add in the ribs.
- Pour on the rest of the broth mixture.
- Add thyme sprigs.
- Put the lid onto the Instant Pot and seal it, making sure the vent on top is in the correct position.
- Cook on high pressure or the stew option for 45 minutes.
- When it\'s done cooking, let it release naturally for 20 minutes and then use the quick release on top to depressurize the Instant Pot.
- DO NOT use the quick release without letting it release naturally. The meat could seize up and be tough, tough, tough!
- Remove lid and serve!
- If you want a sauce for the ribs, remove the ribs from the pot.
- In a small bowl mix together 1 tablespoon water and 1 tablespoon cornstarch together. Pour into broth, hit the saute button, cook and stir until thickened.
Helen Price says
just a brief note to express my thanks to you for the fantastic recipe. Like yourself, I always made the ribs in a crock pot….after today’s meal….never again… 45 minutes and a 20 min. natural release….couldn’t ask for a better tasting dinner…directions were right on.
YAY! I’m so happy that you liked them!