This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs – Ready to make one of the most popular recipes on BigBearsWife.com. These Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs are always a hit! This is the best beef short ribs recipe in my opinion. Perfect for a weekday dinner or for a fancy Sunday Dinner! This dinner recipe is super easy to make and it taste amazing!
Looking for an Instant Pot Version? Find My Instant Pot Short Rib recipe here.
Last Saturday I sent Thomas to the store with a very specific grocery list. I had a plan. I was going to make enough meals on Sunday to last us for the whole week and I wanted to be able to go the entire week without spending a penny on food.
I’m proud to say that we succeeded! Friday evening we did opt to eat out (Pizza for Thomas and Sushi for me) but technically we could have eaten one of the freezer meals and not spent any money on Friday. But I figured that since we went Sunday-Thursday without spending a dime on food that we could splurge a bit on Friday.
“……On Sunday I made about 7 freezer meals for our deep freezer, this was one of them……”
On Sunday I made about 7 freezer meals for our deep freezer. I made 2 freezer bags of ham and pineapple, 2 bags of chicken poppers, 2 bags of Southwest Chicken Tacos, and 1 bag of Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs. That is the recipe that I’m sharing with you today. (We carried left overs for lunch and already had breakfast foods at home, so that’s how we managed to stick to not spending any money).
I was a little nervous about these ribs when I first put the freezer bag together on Sunday. I’ve never been very good at cooking beef. That’s always been Thomas’ department. But I wanted to give it a shot and I knew that he would love them if I could get them to come out right. Let me just tell you something, they were amazing! I don’t meant to toot my own horn, but dang they were good. They literally fell off the bone as I was trying to take them out of the slow cooker. (Our dogs were pretty happy to have a little stack of bones haha)
I felt like these ribs would be perfect to share today because our #SundaySupper theme is all about movies and the food that they inspire. I picked Brave. It’s a new Disney movie in case you aren’t familiar with it. Princess Merida is the newest Disney princess and she is the star of the movie Brave. If you’ve seen this movie you’ll remember that her family has a bit of connection with “bears” haha which is perfect since I’m married to my big bear.
I can just imagine her family sitting down to feast on these! In the movie it looks like they’re eating meat and potatoes so I think that these Ribs piled onto of some homemade mashed potatoes would fit right in!
Oh and here’s another reason I love Princess Merida, she reminds me of me. haha. I have an Scottish/Irish background (probably more Scottish than Irish) and I totally use to have curly orange/red hair.
This is me as a baby, probably 2 or 3 maybe? I had orange/red hair, yep and as it grew longer and longer it got curlier and curlier and stayed red for the longest time.
I also love that Merida has red hair and blue eyes haha, I always tell Thomas that when we have kids, I want redheaded babies with either green or blue eyes. 🙂
“……this recipe has become one of the most popular recipes on my blog……”
**You don’t have to use THESE brands but there are a few that I love**
What to do:
And add in the thyme.
Place into freezer and freeze.
When ready to cook, add everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 7- 9 hours.
“……perfect with garlic mashed potatoes and along side steamed broccoli……”
I served ours ontop of a bed of garlic mashed potatoes and along side steamed broccoli.
Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs
- 3 -4 pounds beef short ribs
- 4 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil (or regular oil)
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 -4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Sprinkle the short ribs with salt, pepper and onion powder. In large pan over medium-high heat, melt the coconut oil.
- Once the coconut oil is melted, add the short ribs.
- Cook on for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Flip and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes or brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
- In medium-large bowl mix together the broth, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and honey. Whisk to combine.
- If cooking right away: Add ribs, broth mixture and cooked garlic to the bowl of a slow cooker. Add thyme. Cook on low for 7-9 hours.
- If making this into a freezer meal: Place the short ribs into a large gallon sized freezer bag, add in the broth mixture, cooked garlic and thyme.
- Place into freezer and freeze. When ready to cook, add everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 7-9 hours.
- I served ours on top of a bed of garlic mashed potatoes and along side steamed broccoli.