January is always a weird time for me. I know it’s the beginning of the year and this is when every one get on their health kicks and all of the bad food is suppose to be locked up for good but I’m kind of backwards. The middle of the winter is when I’m craving all of the bad stuff, it’s when I NEED the huge pots of macaroni and cheese, huge bowls of chowder and the ooey, gooey, hot, bubbling, comfort food casseroles.
I eat lettuce and fruit during the summer.
But like I said, January is when everyone else starts toward a “Better Me” with gym membership and water bottle in tow.
I even pulled myself out of bed at 5am for an oh so joyful gym work out… *so MUCH fun* haha
I’m trying to follow along but I just can’t shake my comfort food cravings.
Best way to solve this problem? Work on creating some comfort foods that are a bit on the lighter side but still warm and cozy!
Oh and this is no easy task for me…do you, DO YOU, know how hard it is to resist mixing in butter and cream to make a thick, velvet like, creamy soup. Oh the pressure is strong! 😉
I resisted my urge though and worked on this lighter soup and I’m ridiculously happy with the results.
I found the Ravioletti at my sister’s new store (she’s a customer service manager down there) in Raleigh a few weeks ago and automatically had vision of homemade Ravioli (like the canned stuff) dancing through my head.
However when I was working on this soup, I just knew that the box of Ravioletti would be perfect in it! Pasta is the number 1 comfort food for me, you now it had to go in!
As far as I can tell, Ravioletti is just tiny little Ravioli pockets willed with Parmesan cheese.
What else is happening with the New Year? I’m back at #SundaySupper, well I mean, I’m going to try and be better about posting #SundaySupper posts haha. I’ve missed them! This week’s theme is “A Lighter New Year”!
Grab the recipe for my Spinach and Black Bean Ravioletti Soup below and then check the bottom of the post to see everyone’s “lighter” New Year recipes!
By: Angie Barrett – BigBearsWife.com
Makes about 8 servings (Click to Print)
4 cups chicken broth
3 cups of water
2 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
2 teaspoons dried basil
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained
4 huge handfuls of fresh spinach
DirectionsIn a large stock pot, combine the chicken broth and 2 cups of water. Add the tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
Toss in the garlic, basil, oregano, and onion powder. Stir. Add black beans and stir.
Add 1 cup of water and bring soup to a boil. Add in Ravioletti and stir. Let pasta cook for 15 minutes or until tender. Stir occasionally.
Once pasta is cooked, add in spinach and cook until wilted. Simmer for about 10-15 minutes and serve.
- Almond Mocha Smoothie from The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate-Covered Berries Green Smoothie from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Citrus DeTox Spa Water from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Peachilious Smoothie from Peanut Butter and Peppers
Blissful Breakfast Items
- Apple Crumble Smoothie Bowl from Try Anything Once Culinary
- Light Eggs Benedict from Rants From My Crazy Kitchen
- Multigrain Scones from The Texan New Yorker
- Nutty Granola Bars from Pies and Plots
- Reduced Sugar Donuts from The Ninja Baker
- Broccoli Pesto from Curried Cantaloupe
- Fava Bean and Avocado Guacamole from Pancake Warriors
- Homemade Snickerdoodle Peanut Butter from Wallflour Girl
- Norwegian Egg Benedict from Brunch with Joy
- Roasted Pumpkin and Chevre Bruschetta from Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Spicy Curried Lentil Spread with Winter Veggies from Lifestyle Food Artistry
Savory Soups and Sides
- Butternut Squash and Roasted Red Pepper Soup from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Light Creamed Roasted Vegetable Soup from Kudos Kitchen by Renee
- Detox Chicken Bok Choy Soup from Nosh My Way
- French Potato Leek Soup from Curious Cuisiniere
- Gluten Free Chicken Pho Soup from Gluten Free Crumbley
- Marinated Tomato and Mozzarella Salad from From Gate to Plate
- Quinoa Mango Pomegranate Spinach Salad with White Balsamic Vinigrette from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Red Cabbage and Golden Raisin Salad from girlichef
- Shredded Brussels Sprouts and Endive Slaw with Champagne Vinaigrette from Take A Bite Out of Boca
- Spinach and Black Bean Ravioletti Soup from Big Bear’s Wife
- Black Pepper Tofu with Black Garlic Sauce from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Fish Steamed with Spicy Couscous from Food Lust People Love
- Greek Style Gyros with Tzatziki Sauce from Nik Snacks
- Kale Pesto with Squash Noodles from Ruffles & Truffles
- Mexican Turkey Cutlets from Magnolia Days
- Meyer Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs, Fennel & Sweet Potato from The Girl In The Little Red Kitchen
- Portuguese Kale Soup from Recipes Food and Cooking
- Salmon with Mushroom Sauce from Cooking Chat
- Skinny Chicken-Leek Pot Pie from The Weekend Gourmet
- Slow Cooker Chicken Enchilada Quinoa from Bobbi’s Kosy Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Italian Barley & Sausage from Foxes Loves Lemons
- Tomato Basil Soup with Grilled Pimento Cheese Sandwiches from Food Done Light
- Tomato Goat Cheese Arugula Flatbread from Family Foodie
- Easy to be Green Chocolate Chip Cookies from What Smells So Good?
- Fruit Parfait from Desserts Required
- Maple Pear Scones from Killer Bunnies, Inc
- Easy Blackberry Crumble from The Perfect Brownie
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.
Leave a Comment