Chicken Mashed Potato Bowl
I haven’t even been watching the Food Network or Cooking Channel much either. What’s wrong with me?!? It’s awful, really truly awful.
Just being in the kitchen makes my brain draw a blank. The other night I was trying to figure out what we were going to have for dinner. It was the weekend, Sunday to be exact, and I had pretty much been cleaning all day and was dressed to the 9’s in my oh so lovely shorts and t-shirt in which I had been wearing for the oh so joy filled day of scrubbing the house. So there I was standing in the kitchen, with my hair in a ponytail, in my lovely outfit, holding the door open to the fridge and staring at the half empty shelves with glassed over eyes, like a college kid who was to hungover to remember what they opened the fridge for in the first place. It must have been a site for my poor hubby haha.
He slowly closed the fridge door and started to laugh a little when I told him that dinner was not going to happen because I couldn’t think of what to make, and I really wanted to cook something. In my words, I wanted to “Take a bunch of stuff, mix it together and make something edible”. haha In other words, I wanted to use food we had to make an actual dinner, not just heat something up.
Big Bear rummaged through the freezer for a bit and came back with the conclusion that we needed to use the popcorn chicken we had and that we did have some baked potatoes that we could use for dinner. Boring……
But then he said ” We could always make Mashed Potatoes Bowls like the ones at KFC! YAY!
- 3 cups popcorn chicken, cooked
- 2 cups corn kernels, cooked
- 1 cup gravy, heated (homemade or from a mix)
- 10 baking potatoes
- 1 (8oz) package of cream cheese (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- Chop the potatoes into cubes. You can peel the potatoes but I choose to leave them whole.
- In a large stock pot, bring salted water to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to med-high heat, add the potatoes and boil for about 30 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Once tender, drain the potatoes and return the cooked potatoes to the stockpot.
- Mash the potatoes with a potato masher.
- Add Salt and Pepper to taste and mix well. Add 1/4 cup of milk and cream cheese. Mix extremely well, until all of the cream cheese in mixed in.
- Everything else should already be cooked. I used frozen popcorn chicken for these, but you could make fried chicken nuggets or use grilled chicken nuggets for this.
- To make the Chicken Mashed Potato Bowl:
- In a deep bowl, add one or two scoops of mashed potatoes. Top the mashed potatoes with corn, chicken and then drizzle with gravy.
- Top with shredded cheese.