This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
A perfectly Easy Broccoli Salad that’s perfect as a side dish, great for picnics and perfect for cookouts! This make-ahead side dish is mixtures of fresh broccoli, sunflower seeds, raisins and bacon bits that has been tossed in a sweet southern dressing and chilled!
Want recipes delivered right to your inbox? Sign up here! I send out free e-cookbooks too!
RECIPE IS BELOW IN PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BUT BLOG POST IS FULL OF “HOW TO MAKE IT”, TIPS, INFORMATION AND FAQ
I love easy southern “salads” like this Broccoli salad and Carrot Raisin salad! It’s a side dish salad haha but not a lettuce type salad! Lets make it!
Quick Glance at what you’ll need to make Easy Broccoli Salad: (amounts in recipe card below)
- raw broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- sunflower seeds
- bacon bits
- orange juice
How do you make Southern Broccoli Salad?
Broccoli Salad Dressing
- Getting the base ready
Start by washing and drying the raw broccoli. Make sure to cut broccoli florets into bite sized pieces so that guests don’t have to cut broccoli while trying to eat.
Once the broccoli is clean and dry, grab a big bowl and toss raw broccoli in.
Toss in the sunflower seeds. I like to use raw sunflower seeds for this salad but you can also use roasted sunflower seeds if you’d like.
- Add ins-
Add in the raisins and bacon bits. Stir together.
I just use the bagged bacon buts for salads like this since they’re going to be covered in a sweet dressing but you could always make your own homemade bacon bits if you wanted to.
- Once everything has been tossed in with the broccoli its time to make the dressing.
As with most southern salads, this dressing is sweet and it’s just perfect!
In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sugar and orange juice until smooth.
Pour over broccoli mixture. Toss to combine.
- Let it sit and chill
Once everything is mixed well, cover bowl with foil or plastic wrap and stick it into the fridge. Chill for 4-6 hours for dressing to soak into broccoli.
I know it’ll be tempting to just eat this right away but this salad needs to chill in the fridge for a while so that the dressing can really get into the salad and make it delicious!
This salad is best if made the day before you want to serve it.
Easy Broccoli Salad Frequently Asked Questions
No, this recipe needs raw broccoli florets.
shredded cheese, craisins, peanuts, shredded carrots, almonds, walnuts
This Broccoli salad is good about about 4 days in the fridge.
Leftover Bacon Bits? Use them for these recipes:
- Bacon and Cheese Loaded Hashbrown Waffles
- Perfect Grits and Greens Breakfast Bowl
- Shells and Cheese with Bacon
- Bacon Cheese Dip
Easy Broccoli Salad
- 4 cups raw broccoli florets, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup bacon bits
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- Wash and dry broccoli.
- Cut broccoli florets into bite sized pieces.
- Toss raw broccoli into a large bowl.
- Toss in sunflower seeds, raisins, and bacon bits. Stir together.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sugar and orange juice until smooth.
- Pour over broccoli mixture. Toss to combine.
- Once everything is mixed well, cover bowl with foil or plastic wrap and stick it into the fridge.
- Chill for 4-6 hours for dressing to soak into broccoli.
Double dressing recipe for a "saucy" salad.
Love it? Pin it!