This is Halloween, This is Halloween! In this town we call home, everyone hail to the pumpkin song…. yes the song from The Nightmare before Christmas has been stuck in my head all week!
I do believe that it’s because Halloween is only a few weeks away!! Who’s ready? I know I am!
While I may not be into making “gross” and “gory” Halloween foods I do like to make some things that scream “Halloween”. Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats do just that, don’t ya think?
Now I already know that when I post these I’ll get comment or e-mails about them being unhealthy and full of “this and that”. Well I suppose it’s all in how you make them really.
I made these with regular rice krispy cereal, butter, marshmallows and chocolate. I’m sorry but sometimes I just want my comfort food/childhood favorites! 🙂 It’s Halloween! I’m allowed to cheat 😉
However if you’re looking to make these a bit better for you here are some substitution ideas:
Rice Krispie Cereal — use Erewhon Crispy Brown Rice – Gluten Free Cereal
Marshmallows — use Dandies Vegan Marshmallows
Butter — use Earth Balance
Green Food Coloring — use Natural Green Food Coloring
Chocolate — use Enjoy Life Foods, Mini Chips, Semi-Sweet Chocolate
Eyes — I don’t know about this one, sorry.
For the ones you see here, I just used regular rice krispie cereal, large marshmallows, unsalted butter, melting chocolate wafers, yellow food coloring and blue food coloring along with a few candy eyes that I found at Hobby Lobby!
Happy Haunting! Check out all of the spooky Halloween recipes and crafts on this website!!
Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces marshmallows
- 6 cups rice krispie cereal
- 10 drops yellow food coloring
- 10 drops blue food coloring
- Melted Chocolate/Candy Coating
- Candy Eyes
- Melt the butter in a large pot and add the marshmallows. Stir until they are all melted!
- Add in the food coloring and stir until it turns green.
- Add rice krispie cereal a little bit at a time and stir to combine.
- Press rice krispie cereal into a buttered 9 x 13 pan. Press flat and let cool.
- Let rice krispie treats sit for about 30 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cut into squares.
- Melt Chocolate according the package directions. Dip the tops of the Rice Krispie Treats into the melted chocolate.
- Lay on a sheet of wax paper (or a plate).
- Use some of the melted chocolate and "glue" on the candy eyes.
- Fill a ziplock bag with some of the melted chocolate, snip an end off and pipe a stitch mouth onto Frankenstein.
- Let the Frankenstein Rice Krispie Treats sit for about 20 minutes undisturbed or until the chocolate had hardened.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 10 Serving Size: 1 Square
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 190Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 138mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 0gSugar: 19gProtein: 2g
This data was provided and calculated by Nutritionix on 8/18/2020 - calories and facts may vary depending on brands used.
Love it? Pin it!