This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Homemade Mexican Rice is so easy to make and taste just like the rice from the Mexican restaurants! You’ll love this homemade version that is perfect for serving with enchiladas, tacos, chicken, shrimp or just with a side of queso!
RECIPE IS BELOW IN PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BUT BLOG POST IS FULL OF “HOW TO MAKE IT”, TIPS, INFORMATION AND FAQ
My friend/pen pal Andrea (Andy) was so sweet to send me this recipe for homemade Mexican rice with permission to post it online and it has become one of our favorite side dishes! Andy was raised in Mexico and I love hearing about her time there and I love any and all recipes she’s willing to share!
When she let me know that she has finally perfected her Mexican rice recipe, I knew I wanted to try it! I’m in LOVE with it and I know you will be too!
Why You Should Make Homemade Mexican Rice…
- Ready in about 45 minutes
- Just like restaurant Mexican rice
- taste great the next day too
- great to serve with grilled chicken, tacos, enchiladas or grilled shrimp
QUICK GLANCE AT INGREDIENTS FOR Homemade Mexican Rice:
(AMOUNTS IN RECIPE CARD BELOW)
How to make Andy’s Homemade Mexican Rice:
Rinse rice until water runs clear.
In a large skillet, melt butter and add garlic.
Cook garlic in melted butter for 3 minutes.
Add rice to skillet.
Stir and cook rice until toasty and lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
While rice is toasting, whisk water, tomato pasta and seasoning together in a bowl.
This is the Knorr chicken seasoning to use.
When rice is toasted, add water mixture.
Bring to a boil and stir well.
Reduce to a simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes*, covered, until water is absorbed.
Fluff with a fork and serve.
What to serve with this Mexican rice:
- BBQ Pineapple Chicken Tacos
- Shrimp and Grilled Corn Tacos
- Baked Manwich Burritos
- Our Favorite Enchiladas
Frequently Asked Questions
I have not tried this recipe with instant rice. I don’t think it will be the same texture or flavor.
You sure can!
This recipe really needs the tomato paste. Buy a resealable tube of tomato paste so that you don’t waste an entire can.
Homemade Mexican Rice
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Knorr Chicken Bouillon Powder
- Rinse rice until water runs clear.
- In a large skillet, melt butter and add garlic.
- Cook garlic in melted butter for 3 minutes.
- Add rice to skillet.
- Stir and cook rice until toasty and lightly golden, about 10 minutes.
- While rice is toasting, whisk water, tomato pasta and seasoning together in a bowl.
- When rice is toasted, add water mixture.
- Bring to a boil and stir well.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 25-30 minutes*, covered, until water is absorbed.
- Fluff with a fork and serve.
cooking time may depend on skillet size and stove top temp.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 7 Serving Size: 1 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 94Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 238mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 2g
Love the recipes that you’re finding here but worried about misplacing them? Sign up for my newsletter above for new recipes every week OR make sure to pin this recipe to your Pinterest account so it’s always easy to find!
Love it? Pin it!