This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
Trying to learn How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Oven? I’ll show you how I love to cook prep and cook Spaghetti Squash!
Want recipes delivered right to your inbox? Sign up here! I send out free e-cookbooks too!
RECIPE IS BELOW IN PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BUT BLOG POST IS FULL OF “HOW TO MAKE IT”, TIPS, INFORMATION AND FAQ
I love any and all things PASTA! I could eat pasta every day and be perfectly happy. You know what isn’t happy with pasta? My body!
No problem! While I still enjoy pasta, sometimes I switch up my regular Spaghetti for Spaghetti Squash and it’s delicious! I use to only cook Spaghetti Squash in the crockpot. But a few years ago I stared making Baked Pizza Spaghetti squash and fell in love with roasting it! Roasting Spaghetti Squash in the oven is so easy! Let me show you how to do it.
Quick Glance at what you’ll need to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Oven: (amounts in recipe card below)
- spaghetti squash
- Olive oil
- baking sheet
How do you Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Oven?
Preheat oven to 400F.
Carefully cut spaghetti squash lengthwise. Spaghetti squash can be super difficult to cut and you should be very careful when working on getting one of these beauties open.
Use a long and sharp knife to slice through the tough skin, using pressure to slowly cut through the entire squash.
Once the spaghetti squash is cut open, you’ll notice that the inside almost looks like the inside of a pumpkin. Just pretend like we’re getting a Jack-o-lantern ready for carving and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and loose strings.
Toss those seeds and strings into the bin for the compost or the chickens and move on to the next step.
Prick the outside of the squash a few times with a fork and then flip spaghetti squash upright so that the flesh side is up.
Drizzle each half with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. You could also choose to sprinkle these with garlic powder and onion powder before roasting them but I keep it pretty simple with just salt and pepper since I’ll be adding sauce to these “noodles” when I get ready to eat them.
Flip the squash back over so that the cut side is down on the baking sheet and pop it into the oven.
Roast in a 400F oven for 30-45 minutes.
Smaller squashes will cook faster. This squash pictures above took about 30 minutes but larger ones I’ve cooked have needed about 45 minutes to get tender.
Remove from oven and let squash cool.
Once cool to the touch, flip squash over and use a fork to scrap spaghetti squash from shell.
Top spaghetti squash with pasta sauce or use spaghetti squash as desired.
Quick Glance Spaghetti Squash in the Oven FAQ:
- How do I store cooked spaghetti squash? Store cooked spaghetti squash in an airtight container in the fridge for up tp 4 days. When ready to use, just heat in a microwave or skillet.
- What temperature do you roast spaghetti squash? Roast spaghetti squash at 400F for about 30 minutes.
- My spaghetti squash is watery after chilling, how so I fix that? When this happens to me, I just heat the spaghetti squash and then lay it on a paper towel lined plate for about a minute for the excess water to soak up before adding it to my recipe.
- How do you know when Spaghetti squash is done in the oven? Spaghetti squash is done when the shell is soft and the insides can be scraped with a fork to form “spaghetti noodles” easily.
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash in the Oven
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Carefully cut spaghetti squash lengthwise.
- Use a spoon a scoop seeds and strings from center of squash.
- Prick the outside of the squash a few times with a fork.
- Flip spaghetti squash upright so that the flesh side is up.
- Drizzle each half with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Flip the squash back over so that the cut side is down on the baking sheet and pop it into the oven.
- Roast in a 400F oven for 30-45 minutes. Smaller squashes will cook faster.
- Remove from oven and let squash cool.
- Once cool to the touch, flip squash over and use a fork to scrap spaghetti squash from shell.
- Top spaghetti squash with pasta sauce or use spaghetti squash as desired.
I love to see what you’re cooking from the blog!
Love it? Pin it!