Last Saturday I sent Thomas to the store with a very specific grocery list. I had a plan. I was going to make enough meals on Sunday to last us for the whole week. I wanted to be able to go the entire week without spending a penny on food.
I'm proud to say that we succeeded! Friday evening we did opt to eat out (Pizza for Thomas and Sushi for me) but technically we could have eaten one of the freezer meals and not spent any money on Friday. But I figured that since we went Sunday-Thursday without spending a dime on food that we could splurge a bit on Friday.
On Sunday I made about 7 freezer meals for our deep freezer. I made 2 freezer bags of ham and pineapple, 2 bags of chicken poppers, 2 bags of Southwest Chicken Tacos, and 1 bag of Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs. That is the recipe that I'm sharing with you today. (We carried left overs for lunch and already had breakfast foods at home, so that's how we managed to stick to not spending any money)
I was a little nervous about these ribs when I first put the freezer bag together on Sunday. I've never been very good at cooking beef. That's always been Thomas' department. But I wanted to give it a shot and I knew that he would love them if I could get them to come out right. Let me just tell you something, they were amazing! I don't meant to toot my own horn, but dang they were good. They literally fell off the bone as I was trying to take them out of the slow cooker. (Our dogs were pretty happy to have a little stack of bones haha)
I felt like these ribs would be perfect to share today because our #SundaySupper theme is all about movies and the food that they inspire. I picked Brave. It's a new Disney movie in case you aren't familiar with it. Princess Merida is the newest Disney princess and she is the star of the movie Brave. If you've seen this movie you'll remember that her family has a bit of connection with "bears" haha which is perfect since I'm married to my big bear.
I can just imagine her family sitting down to feast on these! In the movie it looks like they're eating meat and potatoes so I think that these Ribs piled onto of some homemade mashed potatoes would fit right in!
Oh and here's another reason I love Princess Merida, she reminds me of me. haha. I have an Scottish/Irish background (probably more Scottish than Irish) and I totally use to have curly orange/red hair.
This is me as a baby, probably 2 or 3 maybe? I had orange/red hair, yep and as it grew longer and longer it got curlier and curlier and stayed red for the longest time.
I also love that Merida has red hair and blue eyes haha, I always tell Thomas that when we have kids, I want redheaded babies with either green or blue eyes. :)
What you'll need:
3-4 pounds beef short ribs
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoon coconut oil (or regular oil)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tablespoon onion powder
2 cups beef broth
15 oz tomato sauce
4 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 Tablespoons honey
2-4 sprigs fresh thyme
What to do:
Sprinkle the short ribs with salt, pepper and onion powder.
In large pan over medium-high heat, melt the coconut oil. Once the coconut oil is melted, add the short ribs.
Cook on for 3-4 minutes or until browned. Flip and cook the other side for 3-4 minutes or brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Pour into a small bowl and set aside.
In medium-large bowl mix together the broth, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and honey. Whisk to combine.
If cooking right away: Add ribs, broth mixture and cooked garlic to the bowl of a slow cooker.
Add thyme. Cook on low for 7-9 hours.
If making this into a freezer meal: Place the short ribs into a large gallon sized freezer bag, add in the broth mixture.
Add in the cooked garlic. (with the oil)
And add in the thyme.
Place into freezer and freeze.
When ready to cook, add everything to a slow cooker and cook on low for 7- 9 hours.
I served ours ontop of a bed of garlic mashed potatoes and along side steamed broccoli.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on Twitter Sunday! We’ll tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm EST. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag, and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. Check out our #SundaySupper Pinterest boardfor more delicious recipes and food photos.
Coming to Orlando July 19-21, the first annual Food and Wine Conference sponsored by #SundaySupper. Visit the website to learn more and join in on the fun.
Toast (bready things)
- Scones (inspired by Tea with Mussolini) - Country Girl in the Village
- Croque Monsieur (inspired by It's Complicated) - That Skinny Chick Can Bake!!!
- "Eat Me" Blueberry Lemon Scones (inspired by Alice in Wonderland) - The Messy Baker
- Dog Bone Breadsticks (inspired by Frankenweenie) - The Urban Mrs.
- Individual Deep Dish Pizzas (inspired by Mystic Pizza) - Momma's Meals
- Basic Bread Recipe (inspired by Agora) - Masala Herb
- Mystical Double Cheese Pizza (inspired by Mystic Pizza) - Webicurean
- Vanilla Cinnamon Pancakes (inspired by No Reservations) - Pies and Plots
- 10-Minute Potato Ham Soup with Pesto Swirl (inspired by Julie & Julia) - Shockingly Delicious
- Alaska Smoked Salmon, Celery, and Apple Salad (inspired by Salmon Fishing in the Yemen) - Pescetarian Journal
- الدار البيضاء Fish Tajine (inspired by Casablanca) - Maroc Mama
- Beef and Onions Braised in Beer (inspired by Julie & Julia) - Magnolia Days
- Spicy Seared Tuna with Balsamic Reduction (inspired by Big Fish) - I Run For Wine
- Slow Cooker Braised Short Ribs (inspired by Brave) - Big Bear's Wife
- Puerco Pibil (inspired by Once Upon a Time in Mexico) - From the Bookshelf
- Eggplant in Garlic Sauce (inspired by The Joy Luck Club) - Hezzi-D's Books and Cooks
- Beet Chips (inspired by Food Matters) - girlichef
- Ratatouille (inspired by Ratatouille) - Noshing With The Nolands
- Mushroom and Asparagus Mini Quiches (inspired by Sixteen Candles) - Home Cooking Memories
- Veg Samosas (inspired by Monsoon Wedding) - My Cute Bride
- Not So Fried Green Tomatoes (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) - Mama.Mommy.Mom
- Roasted Taters with Bacon (inspired by Lord of the Rings) - Curious Cuisiniere
- Goat Cheese Basil Grits (inspired by Fried Green Tomatoes) - Diabetic Foodie
- Big Night Timpano (inspired by Big Night) - Kimchi Mom
- Better Baked Mac & Cheese (inspired by Soul Food) - What Smells So Good?
- Spaghetti with Meatballs and Gravy (inspired by Lady and the Tramp) - Juanita's Cocina
- Spicy Sichuan Noodles (inspired by Eat Drink Man Woman) - Food Lust People Love
- Chicken Tchoupitoulas Pasta (inspired by Last Holiday) - Gourmet Drizzles
- The Best Chocolate Cake (inspired by Chocolat) - The Foodie Army Wife
- Chocolate Almond Torte with Raspberries (inspired by Chocolat) - Vintage Kitchen
- Iocane-Dusted Brownies of Unusual Size (BOUS') (inspired by The Princess Bride) - The Cooking Actress
- Minny's Chocolate Pie (inspired by The Help) - Daily Dish Recipes
- Pao de Lo | Portuguese Bundt Sponge Cake (inspired by My Big Fat Greek Wedding) - Family Foodie
- Gluten-Free Chocolate Chip Cookie Pie (inspired by Life of Pi) - No One Likes Crumbley Cookies
- Fantasia Cakes (inspired by Disney's Fantasia) - NinjaBaking. com
- Chocolate Dipped Almond Coconut Bars (inspired by Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) - Kudos Kitchen By Renee
- (Gluten Free) Orange Soda Pound Cake (inspired by Joe Vs The Volcano) - Blueberries and Blessings
- Peach and Berry Cobbler (inspired by Soul Food) - The Lovely Pantry
- Golden Ticket Peanut Butter-Pretzel Truffles (inspired by Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory) - Weekend Gourmet
- French Macarons (inspired by Marie Antoinette) - Happy Baking Days
- Pistachio and Cherry Cannoli Cups (inspired by The Godfather) - Peanut Butter and Peppers
- Raspberry Cordial (inspired by Anne of Green Gables) - NeighborFood
- Grapefruit Flirtini (inspired by Sex and the City) - Ruffles & Truffles
- Wines To Pair With #SundaySupper Movie-Inspired Recipes (inspired by Sideways) - ENOFYLZ Wine Blog
I'm linking to Tidy Mom's : I'm Lovin It Party