This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
My earliest memories of Mexican food would have to be the lunch dates with my cousin Rachel. She was the one that got me hooked on it. Lunch Special #5 – Burrito, Enchilada, and Rice with a cheese dip. haha. It’s pretty much the same thing I get every time I go to a Mexican restaurant. Rachel is also the 1st person I think of when someone mentions a Mexican restaurant. haha. I don’t know why we loved it so much, I mean I know it was good, but we always ate there.
|Me and Rachel 🙂 Our Beach Trip 2006|
My brother is also in love with our local Mexican restaurant, he’s been in love with them forever. He even tries to recreate the food at home. *currently he’s working on perfecting the rice they serve at the Mexican restaurant, if you’ve got any tips for him send them my way*
Mom has even gotten into making Mexican themed food. One of the families favorites are taco salads. She even got those taco salad shell molds to use in the oven to bake tortilla shells to hold the taco salads.
So when Heather, from girlichef sent out that she was hosting #SundaySupper this week and that the theme was Mexican Fiesta (in honor of Mexican Independence Day) all kinds of Mexican dish options went flying through my head. Since I’ve already blogged about my favorite Enchiladas and Arroz Con Pollo dish, I kept thinking about the taco salads that mom makes.
I didn’t have taco bowls molds for the oven and since I wanted mini taco salads instead of huge ones, I did a little brainstorming on what to do in order to make the taco shells. I remembered a picture I saw floating around the internet where someone had baked tortilla shells on the back of a muffin pan to make taco shells. So I did a little experimenting with temperature and times and was able to make cute little taco shells for these mini taco salads.
When I first told BigBear I was making taco salads with the mini taco shells, he wasn’t so thrilled. I saw the look of “ooo yeah…….. taco salads… sounds…. um…. great” slide across his face. haha. But I was determined to make them because these little taco salad bowls were just too cute.
I made 3 little salad bowls for him, took them to him and he started eating while I was working on mine. Before I could get my salad bowl ready he was back in the kitchen hovering over me asking if there were any left. haha.
A total 360 in his attitude towards the Mini Taco Salads. He loved them.
Of course, you don’t have to use these little bowls for taco salads! You could fill them with Mexican rice or maybe beef and melted cheese for little nacho bowls….. or maybe cover them in cinnamon and sugar (with some melted butter) before baking them and use them as little ice cream bowls? I’ll have to experiment with that.
I used corn tortillas for these mini taco bowls.
Join us this week Around the Family Table for #SundaySupper! That fun starts at 3pm EST with these fabulous recipes being showcased and ends with our #SundaySupper live chat at 7pm EST.
Sopas (Soups), Ensaladas (Salads), and Entremeses (Starters)
- Chicken Tortilla Soup – The Girl in the Little Red Kitchen
- Mexican Paint Soup – Crispy Bits & Burnt Ends
- Jalapeño Popper Dip – Chocolate Moosey
- Vegan Tortilla Soup – Galactosemia in PDX
- Texas Caviar – Ruffles and Truffles
- Cheese-Stuffed Jalapeños w/ a Tequila Sunrise – Mama’s Blissful Bites
- Mexican 7 Layer Dip & Chips – The Daily Dish Recipes
- Stoplight Salsa Reisipe – Family Foodie
- Tortilla Soup with Roasted Vegetables – Diabetic Foodie
- Mini Taco Salads – Big Bear’s Wife
La Comida (the food)
- Fiesta en tu Boca Enchiladas (Chicken & White Bean Enchiladas w/ Salsa Verde) – The Hand That Rocks the Ladle
- Gluten-Free Chicken Spinach Artichoke Enchiladas for #SundaySupper – Cooking Underwriter
- Mexican Fiesta for #SundaySupper: Chipotle Chicken & 3 Bean Quesadillas w/ Wasabi Guacamole and Mango Salsa – Chattering Kitchen
- Carnitas – My Catholic Kitchen
- Tamale Pie – Noshing with the Nolands
- Eggs Motuleños – The Meltaways
- Grilled Fish Tacos with Black Bean and Corn Salsa – Small Wallet Big Appetite
- Carne Asada – Magnolia Days
- Carnitas Avocado Pizza with Chipotle Avocado Mayonnaise Drizzle – Damn Delicious
- Frijoles Charros (Cowboy Beans) – La Cocina de Leslie
- Puerco Pibil – girlichef
- BLT Quesadillas with Avocado Mayo – Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chile Rellenos with Roasted Tomato Sauce – Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Tamales with Green Chili Sauce – Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts
- Beef and Vegetable Enchiladas – Hezzi D’s Books and Cooks
- Chicken Con Queso – Momma’s Meals
- Baked Flautas – Home Cooking Memories
- Chunky Aztec Chocolate Granola – What Smells So Good?
- Street Tacos Al Pastor – Sustainable Dad
- Shrimp Tacos – Pippi’s in the Kitchen Again
- Chile Relleno with Ranchero Sauce – The Little Ferraro Kitchen
- Zippy Chipotle Shrimp & Mango Tostadas – Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Pork Tacos – Tora’s Real Food
- Stuffed Sopapillas – Juanita’s Cocina
- Chicken Fajitas – Cravings of a Lunatic
- Blue Crab Tacos – Pescetarian Journal
- Huevos Rancheros – Comfy Cuisine
- Chocolate Cinnamon Flan – Vintage Kitchen Notes
- Caramel Apple Enchiladas for a Mexican Fiesta #SundaySupper – In the Kitchen with KP
- Chilli Chocolate Truffles – Happy Baking Days
- Horchata Ice Cream & Churro Brownies – Kwistin’s Favorites
- Strawberry Empanadas – In the Kitchen with Audrey and Maureen
- Plantain Fritters – From Fast Food to Fresh Food
- Fried Cinnamon Sugar Tortillas – The Watering Mouth