This post and photos may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase something through any link, I may receive a small commission at no extra charge to you. All opinions are my own.
These Creamy Mashed Potatoes are smooth and flavorful! These mashed potatoes are perfect for dinner, BBQs and holidays!
Want recipes delivered right to your inbox? Sign up here! I send out free e-cookbooks too!
RECIPE IS BELOW IN PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BUT BLOG POST IS FULL OF “HOW TO MAKE IT”, TIPS, INFORMATION AND FAQ
Mashed potatoes have always been one of my comfort foods. These Mashed Potatoes, or as my mom would call them “Creamed Potatoes”, are super smooth and creamy! I didn’t add a lot of things to these mashed potatoes like I normally do (cheese, bacon, etc) and I love how classic and delicious they are.
Quick Glance at what you’ll need to Creamy Mashed Potatoes: (amounts in recipe card below)
- russet potatoes
- Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base (or chicken broth)
- cream cheese
- garlic powder
- black pepper
- heavy cream
(amounts in recipe card below)
How do you make Creamy Mashed Potatoes from scratch?
1. Peel and chop potatoes:
Start off by washing and peeling all of the potatoes. After you peeling the potatoes, you may want to rinse them again if they are a bit dirty from peeling.
Next, chop potatoes into about 1 inch or so pieces.
2. Boil the potatoes:
Place potatoes into a large pot and fill the pot with water until it is about an inch above potatoes.
Next add in about 2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base. This Better Than Bouillon base is so good and I love the flavor that it gives these potatoes. (Not sponsored, I just really love this stuff). If you can’t find this Better Than Bouillon you can also use chicken broth and water to cook the potatoes. I would use about 4 cups of broth and the rest water just to cover the potatoes.
Bring the potatoes to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
3. Mash and Mix potatoes:
Once potatoes are done, remove from heat and drain potatoes.
Using a potato masher, slightly mash potatoes.
Add in cream cheese, butter, garlic powder, black pepper and salt. You can always add more salt and pepper later so make sure not to over do it at this point. You can always add more salt and pepper but you can’t take it out once you’ve dumped it in.
If you don’t want to mash and mix by hand, you can also dump everything into a stand mixer and mix it that way or just an electric hand mixer to cream these mashed potatoes.
4. Add finishing touches:
Mash well everything until almost smooth and the butter/cream cheese is melted and incorporated well.
Pour in heavy cream and mash everything together until cream is combined and mashed potatoes are super creamy.
Taste the potatoes and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Garnish with extra butter and fresh parsley before serving!
Add in ideas for Mashed potatoes:
While I like these creamed potatoes just as they are, you may want to add something a little extra to “spice” it up!
- Extra butter
- Extra Cream cheese
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Herbs
- Roasted Garlic
What to Serve With Mashed Potatoes
- Air Fryer Meatloaf
- Oven Roasted Beer Can Chicken
- Muffin Tin Mushroom Meatloaf
- Old Fashioned BBQ Hamburgers
- Instant Pot Short Ribs
- Dijon Sirloin Tip Roast with Brown Butter Mushrooms
Quick Glance Creamy Mashed Potatoes FAQ:
- Can I use another type of potato? For this particular recipe I would stick to russets or Yukon yellow potatoes because they provide a smoother mashed potatoes. If you want more of a chunky mashed potatoes, I would use red skinned potatoes with the peel still on.
- How can I reheat these mashed potatoes? You can reheat these mashed potatoes in the microwave, on the stove top or in the crockpot on the warm setting. They’ll also keep great in the crockpot on the warm setting which is perfect for parties or holidays.
- Can I use milk instead of cream? You can but I would suggest making it whole milk.
I love to see what you’re cooking from the blog!
Creamy Mashed Potatoes
- 5 pounds russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- extra butter and fresh parsley for garnish - optional
- Wash and peel potatoes.
- Chop potatoes into about 1 inch or so pieces.
- Place potatoes into a large pot. Fill pot with water until it is about an inch above potatoes.
- Add in 2 tablespoons Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes until potatoes are fork tender.
- Once potatoes are done, remove from heat and drain potatoes.
- Using a potato masher, slightly mash potatoes.
- Add in cream cheese, butter, garlic powder, black pepper and salt.
- Mash well until almost smooth and butter/cream cheese is melted and incorporated well.
- Pour in heavy cream and mash everything together until cream is combined and mashed potatoes are super creamy.
- Garnish with extra butter and fresh parsley before serving - optional
- Potatoes can also be mashed and mixed in a stand mixer or with an electric mixer.
- Season with more salt and pepper at end if needed.
- Can use water and chicken broth in place if Better Than Bouillon Roasted Chicken Base if desired
Love it? Pin it!