Homemade Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce – a sweet homemade bbq sauce that is perfect for ribs and burgers but also great for dipping fries and onion rings!
Want recipes delivered right to your inbox? Sign up here! I send out free e-cookbooks too!
RECIPE IS BELOW IN PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD BUT BLOG POST IS FULL OF “HOW TO MAKE IT”, TIPS, INFORMATION AND FAQ
If you have ever wondered about making BBQ sauce at home, this is the recipe for you! It’s super easy to make this sweet Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce at home and you’re going to love using it for cookouts, weeknight meals and Sunday suppers!
I personally love BBQ sauce on burgers and I love to dip chicken tenders, homemade fries and homemade chips into it! Homemade Ranch and this sauce are my go-to options for dipping! This BBQ sauce takes about 15 minutes from start to finish to make. Now since this BBQ is a Brown sugar BBQ sauce, I’ll let you know up from that it is a sweet BBQ sauce. It’s you’re looking for it to be a bit more on the tangy side, reduce the amount of brown sugar to about 2 tablespoons.
There is nothing wrong us with grabbing a bottle of BBQ sauce at the store for recipes but if you find that you want to try your hand at making BBQ sauce from scratch, let me show you how its done!
Quick Glance at ingredients for Homemade Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce: (amounts in recipe card below)
- apple cider vinegar
- light brown sugar
- Worcestershire sauce
- garlic powder
- onion powder
(amounts in recipe card below)
How to make Easy Homemade Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce:
This BBQ sauce is so easy to make at home. You’re going to love how simple this is.
Combine all the ingredients into a small sauce pan and place it over medium heat and bring them to a gentle simmer. You want to simmer everything together so that the flavors blends but we don’t want to cook to a crisp.
Allow the mixture to slightly bubble (but not boil) for 8-10 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly. This is going to help dissolve that brown sugar but make sure that you stir the sauce often so that the bottom doesn’t burn. No one wants burnt BBQ sauce.
After about 10 minutes, remove the sauce from the heat and let it cool completely. Now it’s ready to use or ready to store!
That was super easy, wasn’t it?!
You can store this BBQ sauce in an airtight container in the fridge for up to one week.
What recipes to make with Homemade Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce:
Homemade Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce FAQ:
- Can I make this Smokey? Sure! For extra Smokey flavor, add 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke.
- Can I make this extra hot? Yep! Add 1 teaspoon of hot sauce or red pepper flakes.
- BBQ too sweet? You can reduce the amount of brown sugar to 2 tablespoons if you’d like a more traditional tangy BBQ sauce.
I love to see what you’re cooking from the blog!
Homemade Brown Sugar BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- In a small saucepan set over medium heat, combine all the ingredients and bring them to a gentle simmer.
- Allow the mixture to bubble (but not boil) for 8-10 minutes, or until it has thickened slightly. Make sure to stir often so the bottom doesn’t burn.
- Remove from the heat and allow the
sauce to cool before transferring it to an airtight container.
- Store in the fridge for up to one week.
- For an extra Smokey flavor, add 1 teaspoon of liquid smoke.
- For extra heat, add 1 teaspoon of hot sauce or red pepper flakes.
- The full 1/4 cup of brown sugar makes this BBQ sauce a bit on the sweeter side. You can reduce the amount of brown sugar to 2 tablespoons if you’d like a more traditional tangy BBQ sauce.
- This sauce is delicious on grilled meats (pork chops, chicken breast/thighs, ribs) or tofu! Or use it as a dipping sauce for chicken tenders or French fries.
Love it? Pin it!